My collage-y neurosis eventually gave way to this. I dunno about the framing elements, but I had a lot of fun with the bird (an eastern phoebe) which is painted on wet-media acetate. It’s kind of a neat surface once you get used to it–I used Pitt pens for most of it, and since there’s very little adherence, I kept pushing the pigment around with the pens. So eventually I put the pens around and pulled out the needle tool I used on Sculpey years back (seriously, one of the most useful things you can have around the studio) and did a scratchboard style technique to across the bird’s back and to pick up the highlights on the branch. Really like the effect, and will probably fool with it again (and anyway, I bought a pad of a dozen sheets…)
Although now that I think of it, the bird’s tail should be a bit longer. It looks more like a flycatcher like this. Damnit.
Anyway, 8 x 8 mixed media, prints available at Red Wombat Studio [link]
as usual, and the original is for sale–-drop a line if interested, etc!